I could't believe what he said!

KidLead's motto is, "If you want to change the world, focus on leaders.  If you want to focus on leaders, focus on them when they're young."  That's why I was a shocked by the response of an editor of a national youth magazine.  I was pitching an article to the editor for an upcoming magazine with the theme "Changing the World."  Here's what he wrote:  "I don't think a leadership article will fit our focus for the CHANGING THE WORLD theme issue."  I couldn't believe it.  I can understand if he said, "We already have an article on leadership," or "We're full," or even "You're not the type of writer we want to publish."  But how in the world can you focus on changing the world without focusing on leadership? 

Look at history.  It can be summed up with three dominent influences: discovering, disasters, and leaders, but the most significant by far is leaders.  Good or bad, leaders and not the masses catalyze change.  Why don't people "get" that?  What do we have to do to convince folk that preteens and teens can lead?  Why have we bought into the idea that leadership is something that adults do or leadership is equivalent to things such as character, self-esteem, service, and being a good citizen?  These are important, but they are not leading.  No wonder so many organizations are in such malaise.  They think we can change things without developing effective and ethical leaders.

Okay, I just took a cleansing breath.  Relax.  Calm down.  That's why KidLead exists, to change the attitude of so many that change can occur without developing leaders while they're moldable. 

Comments

  1. I absolutely agree and I love your blog post! I get a little hot under the caller when I watch people dismiss ethical character and self control as means of solving their effectiveness issues in favour of hype, bandaid solutions and manipulation!

    Well said!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Leaders In The Rough

Launch of Young Leader Feeder Video Training Series