Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office

Okay, I know I'm on a roll, but during my immersion into the world of SheLead and young female leadership development, I've been reading dozens of books and research articles, like Dr. Frankel's book. My wife and I both read it and were a bit surprised at the number of subtle and even subliminal ways that women tend to sabotage their own leadership, without realizing it.  (BTW, the idea of "Nice Girls" refers to women acting out stereotyped roles from childhood, as opposed to you can't be "nice" and be an effective leader.)

While the list of 101 things did get a bit long at times, most of these are helpful for women leaders to understand how they can better impact society and make a difference in the organizations they serve. Obviously, a list this long implies only certain ones may apply to you, but focus on "your" half dozen that you want to avoid. As a male leader, reading this list, I found myself a bit embarrassed at the way society has morphed into a boys network, but I'm also excited how books like these are helping all of us recognize the unique strengths that women bring to the leadership culture and how all of us will benefit by having more females in leadership roles. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Launch of Young Leader Feeder Video Training Series

Love Principals Like Mrs. Bartlow